DIY     OBD-II Codes     Fix your Car     Repair Manuals

Advertisement  [ ? ]

Site Links

Digg Twitter FaceBook

CRX HF - I am buying this 88' CRX HF ! ! ! HELP !

Forum -> Honda -> CRX HF

I am buying this 88' CRX HF ! ! ! HELP !
by: Spencer   on: Wednesday, September 20 2006 at 00:16:43 EDT

I search up the vin and it says its a HF but the HF on the rear right side doesnt have the..
by: Richard   on: Wednesday, September 20 2006 at 10:50 CDT

Doesnt really have to have the hf sticker its just a sticker couldve been scraped but the dx is the only one that doesnt have the sticker already on it. Look at the motor there is a tag beside the transmission on the motor that will say d15 and a letter after that you can look it up the engine looks like the si but a lot smaller and the dx looks completely different has only 2 injectors and looks almost carborated. But it is possible to swap somthing else into the dx with a lot of wiring i can do it if you need help just email me.

by: Bill   on: Wednesday, February 28 2007 at 15:32 CDT

Check the engine......

If the engine is a D15B2, it's a DX.
If the engine is a D15B6, it's an HF.
If the engine is a D16A6, it's an Si.

The HF is only 62hp, but a DX is 92hp. Also, the HF's had a sticker in the back right corner of the hatch, on the glass part, not on the metal. So it could have been easily removed. Hope this helps some.
by: Bill   on: Wednesday, February 28 2007 at 15:35 CDT

On the point of "sooping" it up, there's not really too much you can do to the engine itself. You could do what's know as a "Mini-Me" swap. That's when you replace the cylinder head with another more powerful D-series head. I'm personally thinking about doing that at first with my '88 HF. You could always buy a ZC engine and swap it in. It has 137HP and costs about $800 or so. It's a DOHC engine, but it's not VTEC. It offers more along the lines of power and upgradability with the least out of pocket expense and no modifications to the engine bay or replacing the motor mounts, but it's not a DOHC VTEC which kinda sucks. It's also a very common swap due to it being relatively cheap and easy. You could always swap out the engine for a B16, but then you need to put in different motor mounts. If you're interested in that idea, Hasport makes great motor mounts for the swap. Personally, the B16 is the way to go in my eyes. The DOHC VTEC is faster, more powerful, and redlines higher, but it does cost more. There is quite a price range though, all depending on that model B16 you get. You could get the B16A1 with 160HP for about $1400, the B16A2 with 170HP for about $1800, or the B16B with 185HP for a hefty $3700 price tag, and it redlines even higher than the other B16's. But if you have a lot of money to blow, and I mean a lot, you could always drop a JDM K20A in there for a minimum of $6000. Then you have 220HP stock with a close-gear ratio 6-speed tranny

Forum -> Honda -> CRX HF